5 Best Places to Retire in Milwaukee
May 31, 2012
In 2007, CNN Money voted Milwaukee as one of the best places to retire. If you are ready to retire and change locations, call your Milwaukee mover and get going to one of these great neighborhoods.
1. East Town. Milwaukee’s East Town is just east of the Milwaukee River in the middle of downtown. The neighborhood has great restaurants, trendy shops, and all the things you need for day-to-day life within walking distance. The opera, ballet, and symphony are in East Town so you are at the heart of culture. There is also a summer jazz concert series that you won’t want to miss.
2. Third Ward. You’ll find this neighborhood full of industrial spaces turned into lofts that are inexpensive and have attracted an artist crowd. It lies between the Milwaukee River and Lake Michigan. There is a center for art galleries, antique stores, and interior design stories. You’ll want to participate in the “Gallery Night and Day” event held quarterly.
3. The Lower East Side. If you are up for entertainment, this is the place for you. Brady Street and North Avenue are both in this neighborhood, and both boast shopping and entertainment. You’ll be around the young people, as 20-somethings tend to rent in this area.
4. Juneau Town. This neighborhood is close to downtown, which allows for the urban lifestyle, but also the access to the lakefront for parks and activities. The Milwaukee Art Museum is there, designed by Santiago Calatrava. It is a pricier area with new high rise buildings and condos.
5. Bay View. This neighborhood is on the southeast shore of the city, extending to Becher Street to the north and Morgan Avenue to the south. It’s three miles south of downtown. This is a fun place to live, as they throw great festivals like the South Shore Water Frolics, Winter Blast, a chili cook-off, and more. There is a neighborhood association that promotes the welfare of the community.
As you look to retirement, think of Milwaukee. And once you have made up your mind, call a Milwaukee mover and get packing for your new life!
(Photo attributed to Flickr member @compujeramey via the creative common license.)
August 7, 2020
July 16, 2020