Make Your Move Easier with a Moving Checklist from Beltmann in Lenexa, KS
At Beltmann Moving and Storage, we know how easy it is to forget things, to help we have created a moving checklist for your Lenexa area move
At Beltmann, we know that moving can be stressful and that no matter how much planning goes into your move, it is still possible to forget things along the way. We have found that one of the best ways to avoid what could be costly omissions is to use a moving checklist. However, even if this is not your first move, but you have never used a checklist before, it can be hard to know what to put on one.
8 weeks prior
- Research moving companies by checking with the Better Business Bureau, checking online reviews, or getting recommendations from family or friends.
- Review your insurance coverage based on the coverage offered by your selected moving company and homeowner’s policy and consider extra coverage.
- If you’re moving to a new area, research schools, doctors and banks. Gather all the proper paperwork you need to set up new accounts.
7 weeks prior
- Obtain written estimates from licensed moving companies through in-home assessments.
- Choose a reputable moving company that has the experience to make your move seamless.
- Make a list of businesses you will need to contact to change your address—don’t forget online accounts as well.
6 weeks prior
- Start the packing process if you’re not having your mover pack for you. Assess your closets and getting rid of clothing that you just don’t need. From here, begin evaluating cabinets and each room.
- Arrange for a charity organization to come pick up items that you’d like to donate.
- Sell valuable but unwanted items on eBay, Etsy, or Craiglist.
- If you have children, work with the current and future school(s) to transfer school records.
- Begin packing items that aren’t used frequently such as off-season clothing, rarely used gadgets, and items stored in the basement, garage, or attic.
5 weeks prior
- Use up food from the refrigerator, freezer, and pantry. Refrain from doing too much grocery shopping.
- Get the word out to friends and family members that you’re moving. Send them an email with your new contact information or consider sending a moving announcement.
- Obtain moving supplies include boxes, packing material, tape, labels, and box cutters. Remember to order specialty items like dish boxes, wardrobe boxes, and mattress bags.
- Determine a box-labeling system including numbered boxes, color-coding by room and, master list with inventory.
- Make a room-by-room packing schedule and start packing!
4 weeks prior
- Fill out an official change-of-address form with the U.S. Post Office.
- Consult your list of businesses and services and make address changes on all accounts.
- Put in for vacation time at your job for the days surrounding your move and schedule a babysitter if needed.
- Confirm all paperwork with your chosen mover and double check that the proper insurance is in place to cover your valuables.
3 weeks prior
- Cancel all newspaper home delivery and set up delivery in your new neighborhood.
- Gather valuable paperwork, jewelry, and small family heirlooms. Keep these special items separate from your moving boxes and make a plan for transporting them by hand or via a trackable shipping service with insurance.
- Inventory high-ticket items and videotape or photograph these items. Note any existing scratches, dings or damage to your furniture.
2 weeks prior
- Keep plugging away with the packing and don’t leave it until the last week.
- Tie up loose ends. Confirm that you’ve changed addresses, have all the proper moving insurance in place, and ready for your move.
- Put together a packet for the new owners of your home with any warranties, vendor recommendations, and a note with your contact information in case they have questions or need to forward mail.
- If you are moving major appliances, make sure that they’re cleaned, unplugged and ready to go. Freezers need to be defrosted and you may need a professional to disconnect gas lines on particular appliances.
- Have cash on hand in case you’d like to tip the movers or for unexpected expenses.
1 week prior
- Utilities should be turned off in your current home one day after your move-out date.
- Dispose of all flammable items that can’t be transported (paint, chemicals, aerosol cans).
- See if you have accumulated anything else in your “donate”, “pitch” or “sell” piles. After packing, you may have additional items to donate and should schedule one last pickup by your chosen charity.
- Back up all computers and have a plan in place for checking e-mail and paying bills online while your computer is in transit.
- Get each family member to pack a suitcase like they are going on a two-week vacation. Remember all toiletries and comfortable clothes for unpacking.
- Check in with your moving company one last time and confirm that everyone is on the same page. Reconfirm the moving-day arrival time as well as cell phone numbers and last-minute details.
- Hire a cleaning company to come in and do a quick clean after the movers leave or schedule a day that you will come back and make sure that everything is clean and in place for the new owners.
- Celebrate the memories you’ve made in your home and get ready to start a new chapter in your life.
To help with this, with the help of our moving experts we have created a downloadable moving checklist in .pdf format you can print and use to make sure everything is completed before moving day arrives. For more information, a no-cost no-obligation walk through estimate, or to talk to one of our moving experts, contact Beltmann Moving and Storage of Kansas City at (913) 703-7310 and let us help make your next move a success!