Among the Best Long Distance Moving Companies in Lenexa, KS and Surrounding Areas
Moving is stressful no matter how you look at it, expert long-distance moving companies offer these top moving and packing tips to help with any Lenexa area move & beyond
Tips to Help Your DIY Move Go Smoothly
- Mark the boxes for each room with a number and a different color. This will make the unloading process go far smoother.
- Make sure you list what’s inside the box on the outside, this will help when it’s time to unpack.
- Keep items from each room in separate boxes.
- Pack an overnight bag for each member of your family or put together a first night box using a clear plastic bin for the items you are going to need when you move in.
- Leave dresser drawers packed and seal everything in place using Press ‘n Seal wrap.
- When taking apart furniture, be sure you put any screws, nuts, and bolts in Ziploc bags and tape them to one part of each item. This way they won’t get lost.
- Use things like plastic bins, tubs, hampers, even planter pots (be sure you clean them first) to pack smaller items in.
- Use vacuum bags to store clothes in, they will take up less room.
- Be sure you use small boxes for heavy things like books and bigger boxes for lighter things like pillows.
- On the day before the movers arrive, defrost your freezers and wipe both fridge and freezer dry.
- When packing plates put them in the box vertically (like vinyl records) and put packing paper between them. This will reduce the chances of them becoming damaged.
- Stack bowels and cups using packing paper between each one to protect them. Be sure you use plenty of paper and padding to keep everything safe.
- You can use pots and pans, your toaster oven, and microwave to pack spices and other small things inside, use kitchen towels to keep them from moving around.
- long distance moving companies tape box flaps in place and then wrap each box in tape, be sure you follow suit.
Items Moving Companies Cannot Transport
Due to DOT regulations, there are many things local moving companies in Kansas City are not permitted to move.
- matches, nail polish/remover, paint thinners, paints/varnishes
- fertilizer, fire extinguishers, fireworks, fuels/oils
- household batteries, kerosene, liquid bleach, loaded guns
- pesticides, poisons pool chemicals, propane tanks
- rubbing alcohol, Sterno fuel, weed killer
- ammunition, car batteries, charged scuba tanks, darkroom chemicals
- aerosol cans, ammonia, charcoal/lighter fluid, cleaning solvents
Things You Need to Do When Moving In
- Be sure you take care of any cleaning or small repairs your new home needs before the movers arrive.
- Be sure you have an authorized adult present when the movers arrive to sign off on the move.
- If you owe any money for your move, most long distance moving companies expect payment when they are done.
- To make things easier when unloading, tape a piece of paper marked with the appropriate color on each door in your new home.
- As the boxes, appliances, and furniture are unloaded, be sure to inspect them for any signs of damage. Note any damage found on the mover’s inventory sheet before you sign it.
- Most long distance moving companies have people who will put your bed frames together, but you may have to make special arrangements to have the mattresses unpacked and put in place.
- If you are planning to install your appliances, be sure they work. Better yet arrange to have a technician do the work for you.
- The best place to start unpacking is the kitchen, followed by the bathroom, and then the bedrooms.
On Your First Night
- If you put the things you need first in the truck, be sure you pack it last so you can remove it first.
- Make sure you have a box that contains tools (hammer, screwdriver, cordless drill) and cleaning supplies. Consider packing a few lightbulbs just in case. It can be challenging trying to unpack in the dark.
- Have a box of disposable cups, paper plates, plastic silverware, bottles of water, and snacks handy as your kitchen most likely will not be ready to use on your first night.
- Be sure you have personal hygiene supplies like soap, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrushes, brushes, and combs in a separate easy to find box. Be sure you pack a shower curtain and towels in the box too.
- Unpack your bedding so that everyone can make their beds and enjoy a good night’s sleep.
If you would like more information to help your move go as smoothly as possible, long distance moving companies like Beltmann Moving and Storage of Kansas City are here to help. To learn more, contact us at (913) 703-7310.