Local Moving Companies in Atlanta, GA Offer These Moving & Packing Tips
Local moving companies like Beltmann Moving and Storage in Stone Mountain and Atlanta offer a few handy moving and packing tips
Beltmann, one of the top local moving companies in Atlanta recommends you download are free moving checklist here.
Packing Tips for a DIY Move
- Pack your travel suitcases and place them in a separate place where they won’t end up being packed.
- Use colored craft paper and tape to color code each room.
- Mark boxes with appropriate colors and number them for ease of unloading and inventory control.
- Add an inventory of what’s in each box on the outside.
- Only pack items from the same room in each box to avoid confusion.
- Use rolls of Press ‘n Seal to seal everything in your dresser drawers rather than emptying them and packing their contents in boxes.
- Pack clothes in Space Bags and use your vacuum to suck them flat.
- When packing put heavy things in smaller boxes and save the big boxes for lighter items.
- Use laundry baskets, empty tubs, pots, pans, the microwave, trash cans, and anything else similar to pack smaller items in.
- Use a towel or T-shirt to pad the bottom of the box you are putting plates in. Stack them vertically and place packing paper between them.
- Use packing paper to wrap cups, glasses, bowels and any other breakable. Stack cups and bowel to save room and keep them more secure in the boxes. Fill voids with packing paper, towels, or clothing.
- Use as much packing paper, bubble wrap, and soft clothing as you need to keep everything well protected for the move.
- Plates should be packed vertically using a soft towel or T-shirt on the bottom of the box, packing paper between each plate, and more soft towels and T-shirts to fill any voids.
- Follow the method of taping boxes local moving companies use, double tape the top and bottom of each box. Then use tape to go around each box twice for added security.
- As you take apart things like beds, entertainment centers, tables, and so forth, put the hardware in Ziploc bags, label them, and tape them into one piece of each type of furniture.
- Take photographs of any complicated cabling before disassembling electronics and label the cables. This will make reassembly a breeze.
- Use inexpensive clear plastic totes to pack those items you are likely to need first. This will make them easy to find.
- Defrost your refrigerator and freezer, then use towels to dry them out.
- Contact Beltmann if you need custom crates for things like big flat screen television sets and paintings.
Items the DOT Will Not Allow Local Moving Companies to Transport
For the safety of those driving the moving truck and anyone who happens to be close to the truck, there are certain items that cannot be transported by local moving companies. The list includes:
- household batteries, kerosene, liquid bleach, loaded guns
- matches, nail polish/remover, paint thinners, paints/varnishes
- pesticides, poisons, pool chemicals, propane tanks
- fertilizer, fire extinguishers, fireworks, fuels/oils
- ammunition, car batteries, charged scuba tanks, darkroom chemicals
- aerosol cans, ammonia, charcoal/lighter fluid, cleaning solvents
- rubbing alcohol, Sterno fuel, weed killer
Things You Should Be Doing as You Are Moving In
- Take of any cleaning, small repairs, and painting before your household goods are unloaded.
- When using a professional moving company an authorized adult must sign the inventory sheet.
- Once the moving company is finished, you will have to pay any balance due.
- Use the same colored paper to mark each room in your new home. This makes it easier for the movers to place the appropriately colored boxes in each room.
- While things are being unloaded is a good time to check for signs of damage. Any damage you find should be noted on the driver’s checklist. This will speed up the reimbursement process.
- Once your appliances are unloaded connect them and make sure they still work. Alternatively, you can have a technician install them and check for proper operation.
- At Beltmann, our movers are happy to assemble bed frames, but unless you have made prior arrangements, it’s on you to unpack your mattresses and put them on the bed frames.
- Start unpacking in the kitchen first, then the bathrooms, followed by the bedrooms and the rest of your goods.
- Make sure the suitcases and boxes going with you on the drive to your new home are kept safely away from the movers to avoid them being packed into the truck.
Items You Should Pack for Your First Night in Your New Home
There are several things you should pack in separate easy to find boxes, including:
- Tools like a cordless screwdriver, bits, and a spare battery, a set of hand screwdrivers, a pair of pliers, and cleaning supplies.
- Extra light bulbs, you never know if they have been removed or don’t work in your new home.
- A snack box including snacks, plenty of plastic or paper utensils, cups, plates, and bowls. Add paper towels and bottles of water to the box.
- Bathroom supplies including soap, shampoo & conditioner, toothpaste & toothbrushes, toilet paper, brushes, and combs.
- Bathroom necessities like a shower curtain, washcloths, and towels.
For more moving and packing tips, contact Beltmann Moving and Storage in Atlanta at (770) 854-1551. As one of Atlanta’s top local moving companies, we are here to help make your move stress-free and seamless.