Beltmann A Professional Mover in Farmers Branch, TX Offers These Moving and Packing Tips
As your professional mover in Dallas, Beltmann Moving and Storage would like to offer you these useful moving and packing tips
If You Are Doing Your Own Packing
- Start by packing anything you are taking on your trip to your new home and putting the suitcases or boxes aside where they won’t end up on the moving truck.
- Use colored paper to mark the door to each room in your house. Then use the same colors to mark the boxes to be used in that room. Be sure to list everything going into each box on the outside of the box.
- Only pack items from each room in boxes marked for that room.
- Use Space Bags for out of season clothing, vacuuming them flat makes them easier to put on the moving truck.
- Use Seal ‘n Press to keep everything in dresser drawers instead of emptying them into boxes.
- Use empty items like clean trash cans and planters, laundry hampers, plastic tubs, laundry baskets, your toaster oven, and microwave to pack small things and save on boxes.
- Load up small boxes with books and other heavy items. Use bigger boxes for lighter loads.
- When packing plates, pad the bottom of the box with towels or and an old T-shirt. Then place the plates vertically in the box with packing paper between them. Use towels or clothing to fill any voids.
- Use a layer of packing paper between bowls and cups, stack them in the boxes and use towels or clothing to fill any voids and stop them from moving around.
- Use packing paper, clothes, towels, and bubble wrap to protect anything breakable.
- Take photos of how your electronic items are wired together and mark each cable. This will make putting it all back together easier.
- Use sandwich bags to hold the hardware when taking apart furniture and then use tape to secure the bag to the furniture.
- When taping the boxes closed, use double rows of tape on the top and bottom. Follow this up by wrapping tape around the boxes twice for added security in the same manner as a professional mover.
- Your fridge and freezer should be unplugged, defrosted, and wiped dry.
- Use clear plastic totes to pack things you will need on your first day. This makes them easy to spot. They should be the last thing loaded into the mover’s truck.
- When you have large items like flat-screen TVs and paintings, contact Beltmann Moving and storage to inquire about having custom crates made for them.
The Department of Transportation Has a List of Things Movers Cannot Transport
There is a list of things the DOT says movers cannot transport. The list contains:
- aerosol cans, ammonia, charcoal/lighter fluid, cleaning solvents
- pesticides, poisons, pool chemicals, propane tanks
- fertilizer, fire extinguishers, fireworks, fuels/oils
- ammunition, car batteries, charged scuba tanks, darkroom chemicals
- household batteries, kerosene, liquid bleach, loaded guns
- rubbing alcohol, Sterno fuel, weed killer
- matches, nail polish/remover, paint thinners, paints/varnishes
On Your First Day in Your New Home and Before the Moving Van Arrives
- Clean, paint and make any necessary small repairs.
- Be sure there is an authorized adult on hand to sign off on the paperwork.
- Be ready to pay the movers any balance due.
- Use the same colors used in your old home to mark the rooms in your new one.
- Visually inspect everything as it being unloaded for signs of damage and have any damage found written on the driver’s inventory sheet. This will make things easier if you have to file a claim.
- Hook up your appliances, make sure they all work. If you have any questions or problems have a professional technician come out, install them, test them, and make any necessary repairs.
- The first room to unpack is the kitchen, followed by the bathroom(s), and then the bedrooms.
- Remember, your mover will put your bed frames together, but without special instructions, it will be up to you to unpack the mattresses and put them in place.
- Locate the clear tubs you put your first night/day necessities in and put them somewhere they will be easy to find.
Items You Are Likely to Need on Your First Day/Night
- A box of hand tools such as a cordless screwdriver, bits, and charger, a hammer, a flat and Phillips head screwdriver, and pliers.
- A package of light bulbs in case any in your new home are dead. This beats trying to unpack in the dark.
- A box containing snacks, bottles of water, and paper/plastic plates, cups, bowls and silverware, a roll of paper towels.
- A box containing bathroom items, including toilet paper, toothbrushes & toothpaste, soap, shampoo, and conditioner. Include a razor/shaving cream or your electric razor, combs, and brushes.
- A new shower curtain and plenty of towels and washcloths.
If you need more help getting everything ready for your move, the only mover you need to contact is Beltmann Moving and Storage of Dallas. Call us at (214) 856-0095 or visit us online today!