Beltmann Your Professional Movers in Aurora, IL, Offer Moving and Packing Tips
As one of the top movers in Aurora, IL, Beltmann Moving and Storage offers these packing and moving tips to help make your move as seamless as possible
For When You Are Doing Your Own Packing
- Pack the items you are taking with you and place them in a safe place where they won’t end up on the moving truck.
- Mark the doors of each room with colored paper and mark the boxes from each room with an inventory list and a color code that matches the paper on the doors.
- Be sure you pack only those items from each room in the boxes used for that room to avoid confusion.
- Seal drawers with everything still in them using Press ‘n Seal, use Space Bags to pack extra clothes. When you vacuum the air out of them, they will be much smaller and easier to put in the truck.
- Make use of things like clean plant pots, clean trash cans, laundry baskets, plastic tubs, the toaster oven, and the microwave to pack smaller items.
- Pad the box you plan to pack plates in with a towel or T-shirt, then stack the plates in the box vertically, separating them with packing paper.
- Stack bowls and cups vertically using packing paper between them. Wrap glasses in packing paper. You can use towels and T-shirts to fill any voids for extra protection.
- You can never use enough packing paper, bubble wrap, T-shirts, and towels to protect your breakables.
- Label all electronics cables and take photos of them before disconnecting. This will make putting everything back together much easier.
- When taking apart furniture, put the hardware in separate bags, label them, and tape them to the furniture they belong to.
- Tape your boxes like the professional movers in Aurora, IL do by double taping the top and bottom flaps, then go around each box twice with tape for added security.
- Use small boxes for things like books and other heavy items, save the big ones for things like lampshades and pillows. Your back is sure to appreciate this.
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerator the day before and use towels to dry them out.
- Pack those items you will need as soon as you move in into clear plastic totes, be sure they are the last things loaded on the moving truck.
- If you have things like paintings and big flat screen TVs, contact Beltmann and let us create custom crates for them.
Items Not Permitted By the DOT
DOT regulations do not permit movers in Aurora, IL or anywhere else to transport certain items. The list contains:
- matches, nail polish/remover, paint thinners, paints/varnishes
- ammunition, car batteries, charged scuba tanks, darkroom chemicals
- household batteries, kerosene, liquid bleach, loaded guns
- fertilizer, fire extinguishers, fireworks, fuels/oils
- pesticides, poisons, pool chemicals, propane tanks
- aerosol cans, ammonia, charcoal/lighter fluid, cleaning solvents
- rubbing alcohol, Sterno fuel, weed killer
Things You Need to Do Before Your Household Goods Are Unloaded
- Take the time to make small repairs, clean and paint.
- Have an authorized adult on hand to sign off on the inventory.
- Be ready to pay any balance due to your choice of Aurora, IL movers.
- Mark the doors in your new home using the same colors you used in your old home.
- While things are being unloaded look for any signs of damage and let driver mark it down.
- Connect all appliances to make sure they work, call a professional if you aren’t comfortable doing this.
- Your team of Beltmann movers will assemble your beds, but unless you make prior arrangements they won’t unpack and install the mattresses.
- Start by unpacking the kitchen, then the bathroom, followed by bedrooms. Leave the living and dining rooms for last.
- If you didn’t take your first night items with you, they need to be unloaded first and put somewhere easy to find.
For Your First Night In Your New Home
- For your first night in your new home, you will need:
- A box of tools including screwdrivers, a hammer, a cordless drill with bits, and a pair of pliers.
- A few extra light bulbs, no one wants to unpack in the dark.
- A quick meal box that has plastic or paper plates, bowls, cups, and silverware. A few bottles of water and snacks and some paper towels.
- A box full of your bathroom supplies, including toilet paper, soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, combs, brushes, and a razor.
- A shower curtain and supply of washcloths and towels.
For more moving and packing tips visit Beltmann Moving and Storage of Chicago, your local movers in Aurora, IL, online or call us at (630) 474-2527 and talk to our moving experts today!