Packing and Moving Tips & Moving Quotes in Orlando, FL
Along with providing accurate moving quotes, Beltmann Moving and Storage of Orlando, FL offers these moving and packing tips from the pros
Once you have received our moving quotes for your next move, why not download our moving checklist to help make your move go smoothly?
For Those Doing Their Own Packing
- If you are traveling to your new home, be sure you pack overnight bags for everyone and put them in a safe spot where they won’t be loaded on the truck.
- Colored craft paper or stickers on the door of each room and matching stickers on the boxes will make it easier to unload and unpack at your new home.
- Don’t forget to label each box with its contents, this will help when the time comes to unpack.
- Place seasonal clothes in Space Bags and use Press ‘n Seal plastic wrap to keep everything in your dresser drawers where it belongs.
- Remember heavier items go in smaller boxes, while the bigger boxes should be reserved for lighter items.
- You can pack small items in things like hampers, laundry baskets, clean planters, clean trash cans, even your microwave oven. Use plenty of towels and T-shirts for padding to protect everything.
- When packing plates, lay a towel or a couple of T-shirts in the bottom of the box, stack plates vertically separated by packing paper, use more towels and T-shirts to fill any voids.
- For glasses, cups, and bowls, stack them in the box using packing paper to separate them.
- Never be afraid to use lots of packing materials such as packing paper, bubble wrap, clothing, towels.
- Don’t try to save money buying cheap tape, it will only let go at the wrong time. Invest in professional grade tape. Seal top and bottom of boxes using two strips of tape and then wrap the tape around each box for added security.
- Pack furniture hardware in baggies and tape to furniture to prevent it from getting lost.
- Take photos of the cables connecting your electronics and label the cables before disconnecting.
- For those items you will need immediately after moving in, use clear plastic tubs and make sure they are the last thing on the truck and the first thing off of it.
- Freezers and refrigerators must be defrosted and dried out before being loaded on the truck.
- If you have large items that need crates built, be sure to tell the estimator so this can be built into your moving quotes.
There Are a Few Things the DOT Won’t Let Us Transport in Our Trucks
The Department of Transportation has a list of things that cannot be transported in our moving trucks.
- rubbing alcohol, Sterno fuel, weed killer
- ammunition, car batteries, charged scuba tanks, darkroom chemicals
- matches, nail polish/remover, paint thinners, paints/varnishes
- aerosol cans, ammonia, charcoal/lighter fluid, cleaning solvents
- pesticides, poisons, pool chemicals, propane tanks
- fertilizer, fire extinguishers, fireworks, fuels/oils
- household batteries, kerosene, liquid bleach, loaded guns
Things You Should Take Care of On Your First Day in Your New Home
- If you have any cleaning, repairing or painting to be done, do it before our truck arrives.
- You or an authorized adult must be present during the unloading process to sign off on the delivery.
- You must be ready to pay any balance due at the time of delivery.
- Use the same sticker colors to mark the room doors in your new home. This will help avoid any confusion when your boxes are being unloaded.
- Check for damage to boxes and furniture as they are unloaded. Inform the driver and make sure it is noted on his copy of the delivery sheet.
- If you shipped appliances, be sure you plug them in and test them. If you aren’t comfortable with this, hire a professional.
- Your moving quote included having our movers assemble the bed frames, but it does not include unpacking and installing the mattresses. You must request this at the time your quote is prepared.
- Unpack rooms in this order: kids’ bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom, the rest of the house.
- Be sure your first-day tubs are the first thing to come off the truck.
Essentials for Your First Day/Night
- Create a moving-in kit that includes: a hammer, nails, pliers, cleaning supplies, light bulbs, and screwdrivers.
- Create a first-day kitchen box that includes: plastic silverware, bowls, cups, plates, some bottles of water, a roll of paper towels, and some snacks.
- Create a bathroom box that includes: soap, toothbrushes, a shower curtain, brushes & combs, towels, shampoo & conditioner, toothpaste, and toilet paper.
For accurate moving quotes and assistance with your next move, contact Beltmann Moving and Storage of Orlando at (321) 234-3484 and let us make your next move stress-free.